Whenever I get ready for a MidLife Road Trip, I have a million and one things to do. One of the most important is to make sure my husband has everything he needs until I return. He works hard and has long days and always looks forward to coming home to dinner. So before I head out on the road, I make sure to stock the refrigerator with some of his favorite dishes. When we were first married he introduced me to his favorite meal, Rouladen and dumplings. His parents had immigrated here from Germany and this dinner was a staple in his home growing up. His mother was an excellent cook. This Sunday Supper recipe is a version of her Rouladen that I have changed up and put my personal touch on with a nod to his heritage.
No matter how many miles away I am, I always leave dinner back home, cooked with love. Recipe –>
6-8 thin sliced Beef top round
1lb thick cut bacon
2 sweet onions, chopped
3 garlic pickles, sliced thin
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Beef Stock or Broth
Flatten beef slices with tenderizer mallet
Season meat with garlic powder, salt and fresh ground pepper.
Spread thin layer of mustard on top of each slice.
Fry chopped bacon almost until done. Add chopped onion to
bacon and cook until translucent.
Place pickle slices evenly on meat and cover with a layer of
onion and bacon mixture. Save bacon grease.
Roll up slices, tucking the ends in and securing with skewers or
Heat skillet with bacon grease and tablespoon of olive oil
Brown rouladen well on all sides and remove from skillet.
Add 1 1/2 cups of Beef stock stirring up browned bits.
Return rouladen to skillet, bring to simmer and cover.
Simmer for about 1 1/2 hours.
Remove rouladen and thicken gravy with 1-2 tbsp corn starch.
Check out some of the other #SundaySupper recipes …
- Scotch Eggs and Brotchen Rolls – The Meltaways
- Aunt Mary’s Pasta Salad – BG Garden
- Apple Kuchen – Mrs. Mama Hen
- Murgh Makhani (Butter Chicken) – Beetle’s Kitchen Escapades
- Spaghetti Carbonara – Katherine Martinelli
- Slow Cooker Chicken Paprikash – Make Dinner Easy
- Potato and Spinach Knishes – The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- German Potato Salad – Magnolia Days
- Sausage and Broccoli with Orecchiette – Daddy Knows Less
- Chicken Enchiladas Suizas – The Weekend Gourmet
- Strawberry Tiramisu – Chocolate Moosey
- Chocoflan – Juanita’s Cocina
- Egg Liqueur Cake – The German Foodie
- Bucatini all’Amatriciana – Mooshu Jenne
- Rasmalai (Ricotta in Sweet Coconut Milk with Almonds and Pistachio) – Sue’s Nutrition Blog
- Mediterranean Couscous Salad – In the Kitchen With KP
- Rouladen – Midlife Road Trip
- Lemon Balm Roasted Chicken and Rum Raising Cupcakes with Maple Frosting – What Smells So Good?
- Keftikas (Turkish Meat and Leek Patties) – The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Croque Monsieur with a Béchamel sauce – The Daily Dish Recipes
- Momma’s Meat Pie with Poutine Sauce – Momma’s Meals
- Polish Rustic Plum Tart – Comfy Cuisine
- Drop Scones (Scottish Pancakes) – Cositas Bonitas
- Jamaican Cornmeal Pudding – The Lovely Pantry
- Borscht Shooters – Cookistry
- Shepherd’s Pie – Big Bear’s Wife
- Parsnip Cakes – Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Roasted Curried Vegetables – Hot Curries & Cold Beer
- Portuguese Mussels in a Chorizo Sauce – Family Foodie
- Bulgogi Kimchi Grilled Cheese – Damn Delicious
- Wine pairings for all the recipes – ENOFYLZ