So how does one get from making a quick Pasta Primivera to a Pasta Bar with all the Fixin’s in under 30 minutes? When initially faced with the #SundaySupper challenge to create a quick, easy and flavorful dinner in under 30 minutes I settled on making Pasta Primavera, but as often happens in our house, no two people like the same thing. With that said, I quickly shifted gears and decided to do a Pasta Bar. Everyone could create their own meal in a matter of minutes. It was such a hit I think it’s going to be a regular in our dinner rotations!
I started at the local farmers market for a little inspiration. I decided on zucchini, yellow squash, sweet Vidalia onions, fresh spinach, Portabella mushrooms, red and yellow sweet cherry tomatoes and broccoli.
We have a house full of meat eaters so I added chicken cutlets (leftover from the night before) and Applegate Organics Sweet Italian (Chicken & Turkey Sausage). What’s great about the Applegate Sausage is that it comes already fully cooked!
For tonight’s pasta bar, I went with Ziti as our pasta of choice but any pasta will work. And if there’s someone in your house who doesn’t like pasta you can substitute red potatoes cubed.
The rest is easy. Prepare the pasta al dente according to the package directions. Drain and set aside when cooked. While the pasta is cooking everyone can pick their pasta toppings.
As each person selects have them bring their ‘entree’ to the stove. I use a wok but a frying or saute pan will work just as well. Put a little olive oil in the pan add in the toppings. Stir until done. I season with sea salt, garlic and fresh ground pepper. Add in the pasta and plate. Add the cheese of choice.
Quantities you ask? It depends on the size of your family. The great news about doing a pasta bar is you can save the leftovers in ziplock bags and get creative throughout the week.
I serve a crusty Italian peasant bread. No sides needed it’s an all in one dinner.
Great fun for kids and a nifty way to get them interested in veggies is this ‘interactive’ plate I bought at z gallerie.
Looking for some more delicious and fast weeknight dinners? Check out theses great #SundaySupper recipes
- Greek Dogs by Supper For a Steal
- Pasta with Sausage and Broccoli by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad by Magnolia Days
- Double Duty Fajita Chicken: Nachos Supreme and Enchiladas by Doggie at the Dinner Table
- Zucchini, Corn and Bacon Crepes by Vintage Kitchen
- Oregon Shrimp Quesadillas by Pescetarian Journal
- Korean omelet rice by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Lemon Dillled Salmon Croquette Burgers by Granny’s Down Home Southern Cooking
- Gluten Free Pepper Steak with Rice by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Crispy Ravioli in Cherry Tomato Sauce by Shockingly Delicious
- BLT Soup by Meal Planning Magic
- Korean Pan-Fried Fish by Kimchi Mom
- Stove top mac ‘n cheese by Gotta Get Baked
- Deconstructed Enchiladas by In the Kitchen with KP
- Croque Monsieurs by Juanita’s Cocina
- Summer Squash and Mushroom Quesadillas by Chocolate Moosey
- Seared Lamb on a bed of Mashed potatoes with Artichoke Hearts by Cooking Underwriter
- Pasta with Creamy Kale Pesto by Webicurean
- Baked Spanish Tortilla by Happy Baking Days
- Grilled Chicken Caesar Pizza by In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Chicken Pasta with Spinach and Beans by The Lemon Bowl
- Tomato Pie by My Catholic Kitchen
- Shredded Chicken in Peanut Sauce Tacos w/ Corn & Zucchini Sauté by GirliChef
- Tomatillo Chicken Stew by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Pollo a la Crema by La Cocina de Leslie
- Baked Tilapia Fish Tacos by Home Cooking Memories
- Grilled Lemon Pepper Chicken with a Yogurt Dill sauce and a Greek Salad by Noshing with the Nolands
- Wagon Wheel Pasta with Pancetta & Peas by Chelsea’s Culinary Indulgence
- Lemon & Dill Shrimp Pasta w/ Oven Roast Corn by Mama, Mommy, Mom
- Ricotta – Tofu Tomato Toasts by Yummy Smells
- One Pot Spicy Asian Chicken and Rice by Hezzi D
- Turkey Italian Brown Rice Casserole by Momma’s Meals
- Flatbread Pizza with Cilantro Garlic Sauce by Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Kung Pao Shrimp by Mangoes and Chutney
- Cashew Chicken Stir-fry by Diabetic Foodie
- Chicken Bacon Avocado Quesadillas by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Roasted Butternut Lo Mein by The Meltaways
- Potluck Casserole with Cornbread Stuffing by Cindy’s Recipes & Writings
- Jerk Chicken Chili by Mrs. Mama Hen
- Loaded Chicken and Steak Stuffed Potatoes by Big Bears Wife
- Steamed Tofu Serve with Fried Mix Vegetables by My Trials in the Kitchen
- Pasta with sausage and cherry tomatoes by Tora’s Real Food
- Chicken Ravioli with Peas and Bacon by Daddy Knows Less
- Chorizo Tomato Pasta with a Creamy Sauce by Avocado Pesto
- Quick N Easy Thai Coconut Shrimp Stir Fry by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Whole Wheat Pizza with Hummus & Fresh Greens by Family Spice
- Speedy ‘n Spicy Shrimp Pasta. Will be dinner this Friday by The Weekend Gourmet
- End of Summer Grilled Peach and Chicken Salad by Sustainable Dad
- Teriyaki Tuna Bowl by Family Foodie
- Weeknight Stir Fry by From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Baked Egg with Mushrooms and Bacon by Pippi’s in the Kitchen Again
- Taco Bake by Daily Dish Recipes
- Fried Rice and Black Beans by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Chicken with Broccoli, Sun-dried Tomatoes and Bow Ties by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pasta in Tomato sauce and turkey meatballs by Basic & Delicious
- Pasta Primavera by Midlife Road Trip
- Tots Your Tots Will Love by The Hand that Rocks the Ladle
Please be sure you follow along on Twitter throughout the day on Sunday. At 7:00 p.m. EST there’s a weekly #SundaySupper live chat where they talk about ways to make meal time easier!