Sweet & Sour Meatballs adapted from a Betty Crocker recipe by Vicky Akins
Sweet & Sour Meatballs
1 1/2 lbs ground beef
2/3 c. cracker crumbs
1/3 c. minced onion
1 garlic clove, minced
1 1/2 tsp. salt
(OR) 1 pkg pre-made meatballs
1 Tbsp shortening
1/4 tsp ginger (grated fresh ginger is even better)
1/4 c. milk
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
1 can pineapple tidbits, drained (reserve syrup)
4-6 fresh strawberries, hulled and chopped into bite-sized pieces
1/3 c. vinegar
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1/3 c. chopped green pepper
1. Mix, shape and cook meatballs in shortening. Remove from skillet and keep warm. (A slow cooker is great for this).
Remove fat from skillet.
2. Mix cornstarch and sugar. Stir in reserved pineapple syrup, vinegar and soy sauce until smooth.
3. Pour into skillet, cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir 1 minute.
4. Add meatballs, pineapple and green pepper; heat through.
5. Can be served immediately or returned to slow cooker set on low.