I could probably eat chicken salad every day. It’s good, it’s healthy, and it’s easy to make. But as someone likes to bite food that bites me back, traditional chicken salad recipes don’t feed my need for heat. So after a bit of experimentation I finally hit on a Kickin’ Chicken Salad Recipe that has become my go-to chicken salad.
WARNING: Not for Wussies
If you’re sensitive to heat, just cut back on the hot ingredients or eliminate them all together and you’ll still have a unique, great tasting chicken salad.
3 boneless skinless chicken thighs
3 fresh jalapeños (diced)
1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
1/2 cup diced grape tomatoes
1/2 diced onion
1 soft, ripe avocado
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2oz lime juice
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
2 tablespoons honey
salt & pepper
- Bring water to a boil in a 6 quart pot.
- Add chicken and continue boiling for approximately 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat and simmer the chicken for approximately 10 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F. Let cool and dice.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the avocado, mayonnaise, chili powder, cayenne pepper, paprika, honey, and lime juice. Whisk thoroughly.
- Add diced chicken thighs, jalapeños, grape tomatoes, onion, and cilantro to the mixing bowl. Toss and stir until all ingredients are thoroughly coated.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with grape tomatoes and cilantro
- Chill and serve.
What’s your favorite way to prepare chicken salad?