We have a confession. We are cookie junkies. But as our age increases, our metabolism may decrease, resulting in some necessary sacrifices. Sugar may be one of those sacrifices. Bye, bye cookies, right? Wrong. Recently we went on a quest for a cookie.that wasn’t loaded with sugar but WAS loaded with taste. While it was thankless work, we scoured the Internet combing through recipes in search of one that omitted the most horrible ingredient of all: GUILT!
Fortunately, we found just what we were we looking for on Spenda’s website. With only 3 grams of sugar (there are approximately 4.2 grams in one teaspoon of granulated) these Peanut Butter Bites are virtually guilt-free.
- Preheat oven temp to 350 degrees F
- Beat margarine and peanut butter until creamy.
- Add egg, honey and vanilla. Beat on high speed for 1 1/2 minutes.
- Add Splenda and beat on high until well blended. (Approximately 30 seconds).
- Combine flour, salt and baking soda in a small mixing bowl.
- Slowly add flour mixture to peanut butter mixture, beating on low speed. Mixture will be crumbly.
- Add milk in small amounts until dough just sticks together.
- Roll level tablespoons of dough into balls and drop on to a lightly oiled or parchment lined pan, approx. 2 inches apart.
- Flatten with a fork, making a crisscross pattern.
- If desired, spray cookies with a light application of cooking spray for increased browning. (Without the caramelization of sugar, cookies will be lighter in color.)
- Bake 7-9 mins. Cool on wire rack.