Tailgating season is in full swing and Beer Brats with Kickoff Kraut are a great way to pimp your party!
- red pepper relish (hot or sweet depending on your liking)
- caraway seeds
- rye buns
- Another beer to drink while prepping
1. Add about 1 pound of drained sauerkraut to a large saucepan over medium to medium-high heat.
2. Pour in approximately 3/4 of an amber beer – drink the rest:)
3. Stir in approximately 4 oz of hot or sweet red pepper relish (or combine both).
4. Stir in approximately 2 tablespoons of caraway seeds.
5. Bring to a boil for approximately 1 minute then reduce to a simmer. Continue cooking until most of the liquid is reduced to a consistency of your liking.
6. Start grillin’ your brats!
- Assuming you know that charcoal grilling should be done outside, light your charcoal and wait for the flame to die out and the embers to be covered in ash. For extra flavor, add some hickory chips to the charcoal.
- Grill brats for approximately 20-25 minutes, turning them over halfway through. If you cut one in half and it’s pink on the inside, it ain’t done so grill it some more:)
- Assemble the Kickoff Kraut and cooked beer brats on a rye bun (or whatever kind of bun you like)
- Eat, enjoy, drink some more beer and root your team to victory!
About the Grill I was recently given a Esbit Portable BBQ that collapses into a tiny box (not much bigger than a laptop computer). I was a little skeptical as to how something this small would work for something as important as tailgating but I must say that it passed with flying colors (or burning embers:) It let you store your charcoal inside, so when you are ready to grill, simply pull open the sides of the grill, light and you are ready to go!
What’s your favorite tailgate food?