Reader Stories: What’s Your Fashion Look?
From MidLifeRoadTrip, About.com Member
I would classify my style as a combination of couture, classic and sporty. Living in the South we tend to wear a lot of resort casual. Much of the time the heat dictates the outfit. Sundresses, capris by day. The little black dress, or pencil skirt and blouse by night. Jeans are a staple, fitted with a flare. No mom jeans here.
How do you achieve your look?
The older I get, the more I find myself gravitating to dark, solid colors. I find simple lines look best. Being petite, 5’1″, I usually avoid bold prints, but sometimes a punch of color really does make you feel better. Because I tend to lean towards monotone and dark colors, I try to occasionally step out of my comfort zone with a bright pink or blue. They truly are mood elevators.
Tips and Tricks
- Solid colors are best.
- Punch up your look with quality accessories.
- Shoes and bags are a great way to make a funky statement.
- When in doubt, go with understated.
- Age appropriate is ALWAYS in vogue.
- A hat and sunglasses can often work wonders.
- Eat a good healthy diet and drink plenty of water.
- A smile is your best accessory.
- Make-up should have you looking refreshed, not like you just starred in a drag show.
- Stylish eyeglasses are a must and worth the investment.
- Comfort is key. There’s nothing more unsightly than watching someone tug and yank at their clothes all night.
My Taste in Jewelry
Like everything else, simple and classic. I prefer silver and platinum. Since I travel a lot, diamond or crystal studs go with everything.
My Take on Shoes and Handbags
This is where I choose to get a bit adventurous. Fun shoes and bags add a youthful feel to any look. It’s a way to feel trendy without looking as if you are trying too hard.
More Fun Accessories
Headbands are always a fun way to accessorize.
What I’d Never Wear
I never wear anything that’s extremely tight or low cut.
Susan Adcox, Grandparents Guide, says:
- Founded in 1996, About.com was acquired by The New York Times Company in 2005
- About.com is one of the most visited sites on the internet, with 2.8 million articles on 70,000 topics, written and updated by a network of nearly 800 expert guides who are driven to help you accomplish your goal in a moment of need
- About.com received 46 million unique visitors per month in the U.S in May 2010**
- 11 of About.com’s channels rank among the top 10 ad supported sites according to comScore Key Measures, May 2010.